Thursday, April 30, 2009

High School Arts Program

A High School Exchange Program

Nicola Boccini (www.boccini.it )who is Director of Scuola d’Arte
Ceramica “Romano Ranieri” (http://www.schoolofceramics.org/)where I am
doing a residency took me to visit and tour the local high school. It was
incredible and speaks to a town of 8 thousand people that has nearly 3
hundred pottery studios. The high school specializes (go figure) in
ceramics for ages 15 to 19. (I have attached a compressed file with some
photos of the school so let me know if you are able to open the pictures)
The school's enrollment is approx. 200+ students which come from the
entire region. Students who wish to study science or medicine go to a
different High School. I would compare the level of artwork and
instruction equal to some college programs. First year students study
principles of ceramic design, mold construction, restoration, ceramic
history. They were doing print making on tiles, lamp design and
construction, a room with a 6 X 6 foot mold for an installation piece at
the local ceramic art museum. We visited the room where “Vinny” who had
shown me how to use the side seated European potters’ wheel was working
with “special needs” kids putting clay into molds for mural construction.
It was amazing and reinforced my understanding of why a town of 8 thousand
people can embrace nearly 3 hundred pottery studios. And they have been
doing it for centuries !!!

Although there remains an issue with language, primarily my not being able
to communicate in Italian, the director of the High School asked (via
Nicola) if I would explore the possibility of an exchange program for
their students back in America. We plan to meet again to discuss some
options. I have sent emails to both Shirley Micheals (Keystone's
Study Abroad person),Catherine Cullen (@ NEIU) and Nancy Sanderson (at Wyoming Seminary) to explore possibilities.

With hope and faith in the art of possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment